Monday, December 2, 2013

No Comment

I must get this off my chest. For if I don't, I may explode.
While making my rounds through various FB Bigfoot groups last week I found myself among a couple posts that caught my attention. So, like I do, I jumped in and commented on the topics posted. I had had a recent "hey now" moment concerning some of the goings on in the community. I happened to be in an unfamiliar group (strike one) and I happened to have an unpopular opinion concerning the topics (strike two) then I commented (strike three). 
Had I known the outcome beforehand I may not have offered any comments at all. But I'm glad I did. You see, my experience was cause for yet another change in my Bigfoot direction, if you will. 
I tend to try to humorize when it's unnecessary and in this particular instance my attempt at humor only dug me deeper into the ill reception that I couldn't grasp. I was not treated badly, I was simply brushed off as a silly, ignorant, newbie, bully skeptic. :) I kinda liked my new title. But I couldn't fit it in my non existent resume. 
I've commented similarly in other groups concerning other topics. Usually it was an opinion that went with the grain. You know the posts. A bunch of trees claiming 20 creatures, an ultra pixelated blob squatch, etc. etc. You see bullshit so you call it, "Bullshit!"
The difference in this case was that the bullshit I saw was the product of a more highly regarded research group (if there were four strikes in baseball this would've been it). What I didn't realize was the picture was not up for discussion and the majority had already decided upon its validity based on the presenters alone. 
My bad. I commented away unaware of the other's standing. I was being held at bay with promises of "wait and see". I was slightly condescended with offers of my own ignorance and shortcomings, to which I owned. Even though I led with the headings of no disrespect to the men or their work, just a simple distaste for the image, I became the enemy. I found it funny actually because my intentions have never been harmful or disrespectful. 
I went against the grain, purely by accident. And I'm so glad I did. I got the chance to see things from a different perspective. I got the chance to see what happens if you threaten to take away the fibers that weave this Bigfoot together. Again, not my intention. It was one piece of evidence and not a very good one. I'm not sure why it was held to so strongly, but I can't Bigfoot that way.  I'm glad that I still have the ability to separate myself from bullshit and have a clear line of sight into this never ending sea of info. 

Having friends is fine, having favorites may be harmful. If you are okay with celebrating less than mediocre evidence don't complain when you're sitting in the same boat 20 yrs from now. If you're going to be a part of a fan club hold the superstars responsible for their production. If they release a shitty album, say so. If they're offended rather than motivated there may be an issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment