Sunday, April 14, 2013

Ohio Bigfoot Conference 2013 Arrival

A whirlwind of a weekend retreat. We departed around 1:30 pm Friday afternoon and embarked on our journey to our first Ohio Bigfoot Conference held at Salt Fork State Park. It was our rookie year and we didn't want to make any mistakes. The first half of our trip was uneventful and the second half we ended up on a scenic route. We passed swamps, cows and Skull Fork Rd. I wonder what kind of conferences they have there? Upon entering the park our excitement ran high when we realized we had missed our turn to the lodge. We busted a U making sure not to drive on the finely landscaped berm. As we turned onto the dirtroad I realized it was marked 51. Immediately I decided our GPS was taking us to a well hidden branch of area 51. Midway up the road we reached a clearing in the trees where a single picnic table sat as the GPS announced we had reached our destination. I rationalized silently that the secret passageway to the well hidden, secondary site of  area 51 must lie beneath the table. We decided to ignore GPS lady and continued until we came upon a couple of young guys sat in a pickup at the end of another dirt road. We asked directions and he rattled off the name of an indian reservation and asked if that's where we were going. We had our sights set strong on the conference and we couldn't be sidetracked by area 51 and indian reservations much longer. Even though it sounded really, really fun. 
Finally, we arrived. Check in and off to the cottage. I was less than pleased to find we were the next to last cottage at the end of the road. Sure, during the day I was fine but I knew after nightfall things would change. We were pleased to find the cottage was quaint and lovely and all around peaceful. Plenty of room and very very clean. There was a great view of the lake and we decided to relax immediately by opening a bottle of wine before dinner. Taking our seats around the firepit outside I noticed a lot of turkey vultures, or maybe regular vultures circling above head. I decided they were waiting for us to die and went inside. After we made ourselves at home and got settled we made our way to the lodge for dinner.
The lodge is beautiful and surrounded by rolling hillsides, woods and deer around almost every bend. The inside is very cozy and offers a warm welcome. After dinner we visited the Wildlife Lounge and enjoyed some beverage, pool and annoyed the kind people at the bar with Boston, Guns N Roses and John Lennon. The meet and greet was within our reach and we made it, but couldn't stay long. We decided it was time to head back to our comfy cottage and call it a night. We had a big day ahead of us.
I lost my OBC pin running for my life to the cottage door. I found it hard to sleep. I wasn't sure if it was because I was on the top bunk of a bunk bed, or because I was too excited and anxious about the following day. Either way I was adamant about all of us sharing a room and that was that. 





No comments:

Post a Comment